The Public Safety committee involves joint efforts of the police and the Hillandale community to promote a proactive Neighborhood Watch. We encourage neighbors to attend our Hillandale Citizens Association meetings and to take advantage of the educational seminars the 3rd District headquarters offers. We hope to enhance neighborhood security, heighten the community's power of observation, mutual assistance and concern among neighbors.
The Need for the Program
Let's face it, we live in a locale that has grown in population by about 13% since 2005 and, not surprisingly, we have a growing problem with crime. Cooperation, diligence, and consistent communication with our neighbors and police force are essential if we are to maintain a safe environment for our community.
Public Safety Goals and a Neighborhood Watch
The main objective of Neighborhood Watch is to reduce the incidence of crime by:
- Increasing citizens' awareness through HCA Meetings, on-line info, resources and alerts (Nextdoor, Hillandale-MD.org, and the Facebook page)
- Training seminars through MC Police's Community Service Officer at 3D Headquarters
- Neighbors help watch each other's property and report suspicious persons and activities to law enforcement agencies
- Encouraging all citizens to cooperate with law enforcement agencies in consistently reporting crime
- Nextdoor postings (over 700 Hillandale neighbors are currently signed up and there is a mobile app)
- Have neighbors either stop their mail/newspapers or have a neighbor pick them up
- Get to know your neighbor!
We should try and do our best to help each other, to communicate with each other, and to help others help themselves by our example.The safety and well-being of Hillandale residents should be paramount in pursuing a normal, sustaining and fruitful living experience in Hillandale and beyond.
Please report all suspicious incidents to your local police by dialing 911.
If something does not require an emergency response:
in Montgomery County dial 301-279-8000
in Prince Georges County dial 301-352-1200